- I believe that slavery must come to an end.
- I believe that as a Christian I am not allowed to shrink back from taking action on this issue.
- I believe that nothing is impossible with God.
Today an estimated 29.8 million people are held in slavery, more than ever before in human history, 72% live in Asia and 99% never rescued.
Trafficking in women is the 2nd largest global organized crime. Average age of each slave is getting younger. 1 in 100,000 European Traffickers are ever convicted. Convictions for the trafficking of children for the purpose of sexual slavery is 2nd only to illegal drug convictions, in the USA.
What can we do? This is a problem that seems huge. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. We need to break it down to small bite size pieces, live in Christian community such as small groups, stand with our local church and the church at large, and take hope that we serve a BIG God! Then we need to ask God what He is asking us to do.
From that point we can consider a variety of different responses.
1. Learn – if we become more aware of the issue we will find ways to get involved. Watch the Freedom Film or Call + Response. Did you know that India has 14 million slaves? Did you know that 20% of the population of Mauritania lives in slavery? Did you know that there are children in your city forced into sexual slavery? Did you know that the Super Bowl is consistently the weekend grossing the most profit from sexual slavery? Did you know that human trafficking generates more than $32 billion a year? Did you know that the average international cost of a slave is $90? How many slaves work for you? Slavery Footprint can tell you. They have an app for your smart phone or you can go to Slavery Footprint
2. Be Alert – if we are watching for at risk children and/or victims in our daily life, it will help. Some recent cases of trafficking rings broken up started with a citizen noticing something amiss.
3. Volunteer – the non-profits listed above are just a few of the many places you can volunteer to help end slavery. You may also be able to help deliver some of the content they provide to schools to educate kids on safety measures. They may need help restoring a house to be used as a shelter. You may find that stuffing envelopes is a need. There are countless ways to volunteer. You can also support the effort of the A21 Campaign, End Slavery Now, Araminta Freedom, Polaris Project, and the IJM.
4. Pray – the easiest and most effective thing you can do to bring change is to ask God for an end to slavery. Below you will find suggestions for how to pray from our friends at The A21 Campaign.
Pray for the Victims, for their:
In closing, I would strongly suggest that you read these verses aloud and take great faith in a great God who can do anything!
- Thank God, who gives victory over sin and death through Jesus. 1 Cor 15:57
- I will be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Eph 6:10
- I can do all things through Jesus who strengthens me. Phil 4:13
- God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7
- I will overcome my enemies because greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4
“Our lives begin to end the day that we become silent about things that matter.” – Pastor Dr Martin Luther King Jr
“The time is always right to do what is right.” – Pastor Dr Martin Luther King Jr