How do I know if I’ve had a fresh start?
Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.” John 3:3 He introduces one of the strangest word pictures known to human history.
Have you ever wondered if you are “saved”? This “fresh start” it’s spiritual. How do you know if it’s real? What are the evidences of a fresh start?
Warning: coming to a conclusion on this will give you rock-solid confidence, but it does take time & effort to process what God has done for you. It takes time to recognize some of the results.
First let’s define, just a little bit better, what we’re talking about in a “fresh start” from a Bible perspective:
Here’s a couple of definitions to help you further:
Fresh Start – a second chance at life. By turning away from our sin and turning to Jesus we are provided an opportunity to be new. At CBCB there are “no perfect people allowed” and we all need a “fresh start”.
Conversion = Regeneration “To cause to be completely reformed or improved; to form or bring into existence again; to re-establish on a new basis; to be spiritually reborn, as by a religious conversion.” “the change brought about by justification.” “It is a ‘re-genesis’ or a new beginning, a creative act of God.”
Here’s a few Evidences of a Fresh Start:
(take a quick minute to read the Scripture verse attached to each item here…it will be an earth shattering exercise for you! Trust me.)
- Assurance. “For His Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.” Romans 8:16
- Ability to Call God, Your Father. “And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, ‘Abba, Father.’” Galatians 4:6
- Considering Heaven. “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.” Colossians 3:1-3
- Free from Sin. – It’s no longer in control. Rom 6:14 “Sin is no longer your master,” When we mess up we seek cleansing. Read 1 John 1:5-7 2:1-2
- Ability to Live Right. “When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous.” 1 John 3:7
- Love for God & others. Read 1 John 5:1-2; “We love each other because He loved us first.” 1 John 4:19, 21; Read 1 John 3:14
- Love for God’s Word. “Oh, how I love your instructions!” Ps 119:97 “Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness.” 1 Peter 2:2-3
- New Desires. “And because of His glory and excellence, He has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share His divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.” 2 Peter 1:4
These are just a few evidences. You may find that you don’t have each of these. Of course, this doesn’t mean you need to fear for your salvation. God’s not the author of confusion or fear. You may have the beginning of one of these evidences, and yet you need to feed your spirit so that it can grow. If you are still unsure you may need to ask yourself that serious question. Jesus did make it clear that we are to believe in our heart and confess with our mouth that He is our Savior.
Please consider this:
Take Away from John 3:16 You are new.You are saved.You have eternal life. You will not be judged.
Lessons from Nicodemus (in John 3): Make Time. Be Honest. Empty Yourself. Become Intimate.
These are steps that he took to get close to Jesus and learn about salvation. Good ideas!